The greatest gift that we have down here is without question the gift of time. It's something that I always remark on... I just can't believe how many hours there are in the day when you take out the commuting, the errand running, the phone calls, the electronic devices (we can only get online when we are in the house). When you subtract all those things you are left with so much time. Time to play, time to sleep, time to think... and of course, time to read. Down here I read about a book every two days and it pains me to say that when I'm back home I'm lucky if I read a book every two months! Some summers the options are less than stellar, and I find myself reading old crime novels and Nicholas Sparks' books from the local used bookstore, but not this summer. This summer there are SO many good books out and I'm happy to say that my kindle has replaced my phone when it comes to being the one thing I can't leave behind.
Here are some of the books I've read and my thoughts on them all. If there is one book to read this year, I say Fates and Furies is it. If you find yourself with some time, I can't think of a better way to spend it. Xx
- Eligible- Eligible is a modern (and literal) take on Pride and Prejudice and I have to say even though I knew the storyline, I really enjoyed this book. It's been decades since I have read the original (err saw the movie) and Im happy to report that I could surely ace any book club now!
- Fates and Furies- As I mentioned, this is the one book that I would suggest to anyone. Probably the best book I've read in the past few years, Fates is part Gone Girl, part The Affair and truly original, all at the same time.
- Goodnight Nobody- I had high hopes for this book and I am a huge Jennifer Weiner fan. It's wasn't that I didn't like it (I think I read it in a day) it just sort of paled when read in-between all these other amazing books. For this one, Weiner seems to be stepping into the chick-lit / crime drama hybrid and this story is based around trying to figure out who killed the queen bee mom in a wealthy Connecticut suburb. Will it win a Pulitzer prize? No. Will it keep you entertained on the beach? Absolutely. My favorite Weiner book of all time? without question it's Good in Bed!
- Pretty Girls- This one is not for the faint of heart. The subject matter is intense (kidnapped and tortured women) and it can get pretty gory at times but I'm kind of a wimp with this sort of subject matter and I still couldn't put it down. Every time you think you've figured out the plot it twists again. Once I burn though my digital library I intend to read a few of her other books and would love some recommendations!
- Modern Lovers- As a 90's child I LOVED this book, and now want to move to Brooklyn! The storyline which follows two middle aged couples, and their teenage children is smart, funny, and sweet. I was so sad when it was over, but so satisfied with the ending. A must read this summer.
- The Girls- I'm just starting this one now, but I urged my sister to read it first and she said it's good. It's essentially the story of Charles Manson and his "girls" and my sister said if you don't know all the details of the true life crime story than you will really like it. Lots of drugs, lots of sex, and I can't wait to dig in!
Really the best part of summer for me is new releases by my favorite authors. Here are a few books that I'm anxiously waiting on to release and my next read which I've heard some great things about!
- Truly, Madly, Guilty (Pre-Order)- About a year ago I became such a huge Liane Moriarty fan.I started with The Husband's Secret and quickly burned through all of her releases. My favorite is What Alice Forgot, followed closely by Big, Little Lies (soon to be an HBO series).
- Falling (Pre-Order)- Jane Green has been one of my favorite authors for more than 15 years. (I've probably read Jemina J. about half a dozen times!) I've loved pretty much everything she writes and I can't wait to get my hands on Falling.
- First Comes Love (Pre-Order)- I'm pretty sure everyone loves Emily Giffen just about as much as I do. In my book (no pun intended) she can do no wrong. Love the One You're With with always be my favorite.
- Rich and Pretty- I keep seeing this on everyone's summer reading list so I bought it without really knowing much about it. I figure after finishing The Girls, that I will want something light so this is my next stop!
Is there anything you all are reading (and loving) this summer? I'd love to hear your recommendations in the comments!
P.S. What I was reading last year.