Hi.

Welcome to my blog. I document my adventures in travel, style, and interior design. Hope you have a nice stay!

When The Cat's Away, The Mice Will... Redecorate?

When my husband left for his trip on Thursday I saw huge a window of opportunity to begin some of the "projects" that I have been dying to do around the house. It's not that my hubby was totally against the idea, it's just that he absolutely did not think I would be able to pull it off. I quickly realized that having him over my shoulder was not going to be the best way to get done what I wanted to, so as soon as the wheels of his plane left the tarmac my little man and I got to work. Originally, this was supposed to be a solo project, but given that my little man was home sick with the stomach flu (which that God I never got) I figured that I would use my little helper to my advantage. Sure, there were some tense moments (think me holding my breath while the little man held the chalkboard covered paintbrush) but overall having him around actually did help. He took such pride in handing me the hammer, nails, and leveler and keeps telling everyone how he made "a big boy room." Dad was a little more than shocked when he saw the final project on Skype, but I have a feeling that since this one went so well I will finally get the go ahead to do some of the others. So what did we do?

First we hung some new wood pictures
 (from Pottery Barn kids)


Then we did some serious furniture moving. 
The "before" can be seen here.


We taped off the area where the crib used to be. 
This was the longest part of the whole project (let's just say a two year old and a laser leveler are not the best combination.)


Then we sanded the wall.


Applied the paint. This is after two coats. One we did before nap and the other after. It was dry to the touch after 30 minutes and there were absolutely no fumes. 


Here is the side view.


Next we taped off the area for the moulding.
 I purchased it at home depot and when I looked lost (intentionally) an employee offered to cut it for me. I used basic wood moulding and then painted it with two coats prior to hanging. 


We weren't able to get the wood to abut right (who knew how hard it was to cut a 45% angle) But with some quick drying putty I was able to create a flat surface. I then painted the entire strip with a third coat.


We could have done without the moulding (which was by far the most difficult task) but I think it definitely adds something.
Here is the wall without the moulding.


And here it is with. 


Not bad for 2 days work and about 100 dollars!



What Are You Listening To, Part Two.

The Adoption Story.