It just hit me that next Wednesday we will be traveling to California to visit my family. This is not that all surprising given that the LM and I go there every year for Halloween, but what is surprising is that I am going to again take the trip from hell on the exact same day as I did last year. Yes, I seem to be a serious glutton for punishment! If you have no idea what I'm talking about click here. Crazy Right? Let's just say that 6 hours in a plane, alone, with a young child is never fun. Traveling with a hysterical 13 month old....really, really, really not fun.
Needless to say, this year I have made a few changes.
- I will literally die before I ever take another red eye with my child. Die. The pressure to keep him quiet so everyone else can sleep is more than this mum can handle. Nope, not this time. We have both fights leaving at 7 am. Do I care that we have to leave CA for the airport at 4am? Not at all. So long as everyone around me is supposed to be awake, I am all set.
- Clearly the little guy is a lot bigger. This presents its own challenges (the word NO! comes to mind) but it also means that he is a) walking, b) bribe-able, and c) appreciates that sometimes you have to sit still (yes it sucks but suck it up.)
- I am traveling with a portable DVD player, a separate charger, and a fully charged MacBook. Curious George for 6 hours? If it gets us through the day, bring it on I say!
- I will be traveling with a secret stash of never before seen cars and treats. Yep, it's bribery. Yes, I try not to do this too often. And yes, it works like a charm.
- I bought a wheeled attachment for the car seat. This way I can check the stroller though (which is still free on all airlines) and just wheel him in this. We have used it the past few times we have flown as a family, and the thing really is priceless.
Nothing can be worse than that last flight, so the good news is things can only get better this time around. Oh dear God what am I doing.....