Yesterday I spent the day feeling like one of the little man's used tissues, and today I woke up feeling much much worse. I don't know what it is about feeling sick but at that time I am always craving some serious comfort food. Last night the only cure for my stuffed up nose was some stuffed peppers. Since the Husband is a vegetarian I had to leave out the best part, but in the end they still ended up pretty damn good if I do say so myself. For those of you who are carnivores I'm sure that some sausage could easily be added to the following recipe.
- 1 box rice pilaf (I prefer brown rice pilaf)
- 3 Tbs butter (or olive oil)
- 1/2 cup pignoli (pine nuts)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 large red or green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup sharp provolone cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 jar of marinara sauce.
- Cook the rice according to the directions.
- While the rice is cooking, melt the butter in a small frying pan, over a medium heat. Add in pine nuts, celery, and onion. Cook until the onion is just starting to turn gold. Stir into the rice and mix well.
- Add in eggs, stirring quickly after each addition.
- Add in the remaining spices and seasonings.
- Remove from heat and mix in the provolone cheese.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Boil the peppers for 5 minutes.
- Place open-end-up in a greased baking dish. Spoon mixture into the peppers (do not over fill).
- Evenly pour the marinara sauce over the peppers.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top of the peppers.
- Add 1/2 cup of hot water to bottom of dish.
- Bake at 400F for 25 minutes.
Here is the little man helping me cook.
The final rice mixture. It smelled delicious.
"Stuffing" the peppers. I did not boil them first as the recipe did not call for it. They peppers came out way to firm so I have accounted for this up in the directions.
The final product and the perfect cure!